This article will go over how to set up your store so you can accept payments through PayPal. With payments through PayPal, shoppers have the following options when paying with their PayPal account.
- Getting Credentials from your PayPal Account
- Setup in Store
- Viewing Payment on Order/Reports
Getting Credentials from your PayPal Account
In order to use the PayPal Commerce Platform gateway on your site, you will need to register an app at the PayPal Developer Portal and get your API credentials which will be used in your PayPal setup. The instructions below go over registering an app and receiving API credentials.* If you haven’t already, you may need to sign-up with PayPal to upgrade your account from a Personal to a Business account.
*NOTE: As PayPal manages this setup process, it’s entirely possible that the below screenshots may be out of date and we will do our best to keep this information updated.
If you have already received your credentials (for Client ID & Client Secret) you can skip this section and proceed to the Setup in Store instructions.
Register your app at the PayPal Developer Portal
Go to the PayPal Developer Portal and login with your PayPal account which will be receiving funds in the store. You can sign up for a new account if you don't already have one.
You will be directed to the My Apps & Credentials page. In the REST API Apps section, click the Live option then click create app.
On the Create New App page, provide a value for App Name and for the App Type, choose Merchant (to accept payments as a seller). Then click Create App.
Get your PayPal client ID and secret
Once PayPal has created your app, you will be shown the API credentials for this particular application. The Secret value is initially hidden and you can click show to see this value.
Once you have your credentials, these are what you will use in the configuration in your PayPal account for the store. If you need further guidance on going through these steps, please reach out to PayPal’s support team for assistance.
Setup in Store
To setup your PayPal account to receive payments:
- After logging into the store's admin area, click into Features, then Click Add Ons.
- Turn ON the toggle for Payment Gateways (then choose set up now or cancel)
Once activated under Add Ons:
- Expand Payments, and choose PayPal.
- Turn ON the toggle for Enable PayPal.
- Input the Client ID (you may need to work with PayPal’s support team to locate this information).
- Input the Client Secret (you may need to work with PayPal’s support team to locate this information).
- Specify a Currency Code (defaults to USD and allows you to send transactions in a different currency to PayPal)
- Enable or keep disabled the toggle for Authorize Funds only. You would activate this if you want the transactions authorized, but not captured and settled automatically. With this activated, you would need to “capture” the payment within the order in Bright Sites, or within PayPal.
- Click Save when finished.
Now at checkout, after the shopper has provided their billing address information (Address Line, City, State, Zip Code, & Country are required), they can select the option to pay with their PayPal account, Pay Later or pay with a valid credit/debit card.
The option to pay using PayPal will appear in a separate window (however, if the shopper chooses Debit or Credit Card they will be able to input their credit card directly on the store - see Notes) . Once they have completed payment, they will click Continue and then Place Order Now to place their order out on the store.
Viewing Payment on Order/Reports
To see the Transaction ID for the order:
- After logging into your store's admin area, click Orders.
- Next, click the edit (pencil icon ) for an order.
- Click into Payments and you will see the PayPal transaction ID.
To view the payment information in reports:
- Click to expand Reports, then click Custom Report.
- Next, click Column Headings and left-click (with your mouse) and drag the option for Payment Info into your report.
- Once you have done that, you will see payment information for the order which will include the transaction ID (see below)
- If the shopper has an ad-blocker on their browser, they may see the option to pay with a Debit or Credit Card in another window instead of directly at checkout on your store.
- Payment through a PayPal account will require you as the distributor to setup your account to accepts payments and the shopper must have a PayPal account to use PayPal Account Balance and PayPal Pay Later options.
- If using Authorize Funds Only please note that the authorization does expire. Please reach out to PayPal support for additional information.
- The MOAS functionality will work with the PayPal method of payment. If the order is denied, then the transaction is refunded.