*PRO-TIP: Use “CTRL + F” to input search terms and search this page*
This tutorial will go over mass uploading user accounts in Bright Sites.
This functionality allows you to upload user account information for multiple accounts at once. This is especially beneficial if your client needs you to create multiple user accounts prior to a store being launched.
- Download New Users Template
- Add New Users Information to the Spreadsheet
- Uploading the Spreadsheet
- Status Notifications for Upload
- Columns In Template
- Additional Columns in Export
- Related Articles
Download New Users Template
To get started with using this feature, login to the admin area and download a user template.
- Access the Users & Groups page.
- Click into the Users section.
- Click the Upload new users button.
- Click the Download Users Template button.
Add New Users Information to the Spreadsheet
A spreadsheet template will be downloaded to your system and when you open the file in your spreadsheet software, you will see several columns (this screenshot shows only a partial display of the columns).
- Input user information with one row per user account)
- The highlighted columns, above, are required. An explanation of the columns in the template can be seen after the section labeled “Uploading the Spreadsheet, below.”
- Once complete, save the file in a .csv format
Uploading the Spreadsheet
To upload the new users, navigate back to the Users page and upload the completed spreadsheet.
- Click the Update new users button.
- Drag and drop or click the box to select the modified file from your system.
- Don't send account confirmation email for users without a password :
- When toggled off - If the users are uploaded without a password, they will immediately receive a User Confirmation Email asking them to confirm their account and set up a password.
- When toggled on - If the users are uploaded without a password, they will not receive a User Confirmation Email unless you send this, after the fact, in the user list. See User Page Functions for more information on manually sending Confirmation Emails after a user has been added.
- Side Note (not pertaining to this setting) - If the users are uploaded with a password, they may or may not receive a Welcome Email, depending on the Send Welcome E-mails setting in the Notification Options page.
- Click Upload to start the upload process.
Status Notifications for Upload
After the file is added into the queue, you will receive notification in the upper right-hand area of the screen, letting you know the process has started and then you will receive a second notification that it was complete or that there are errors. If you’re having issues with doing the upload, we recommend taking a look at this guide for assistance.
Here is an example of a successful upload
Here is an example of the message that appears for an upload that failed
Find out more about an unsuccessful upload
- Click the bell (notifications) icon.
- Click the specific error for this upload.
- CSV Errors - Check the errors that appear in the pop-up window. Match the line number to the row in the spreadsheet to fix and reupload the record that did not upload initially.
Columns in Template
*Fields marked with an asterisk(*) are required.*
**Fields marked with two asterisks(**) have special requirements**
- *Column A (First Name): This is the user’s first name.
- *Column B (Last Name): This is the user’s last name.
- *Column C (Username): This is the user’s username.
- Column D (Password): Passwords must be a minimum of 7 characters long, and contain at least 1 number and 1 letter. This field is not required and keep in mind, if a password is not supplied for that user account, our system will generate a confirmation email to have the shopper confirm their account and setup a password on their own.
- *Column E (Email): This is the user’s email address for correspondence from the store (order confirmation emails and password reset emails). Keep in mind it must be input in an email format (no apostrophes or spaces)
- Column F (User phone #): This is the user’s phone number under their user profile.
- Column G (User Company information): This is the user’s Company under their user profile.
- Column H (User Title): This is the user’s Title under their user profile.
*Columns in your spreadsheet after this point may reflect different column letters depending on features/add-ons you have activated.*
- Column I (Time zone): This allows you to set the Time zone for a shopper's account and their email will reflect the location they were purchasing in. A list of Time zones you can use in the upload are available here. Other example formats when uploading users includes:
'(GMT -05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)' - Eastern Time
'(GMT -06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)' - Central Time
'(GMT -07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)' - Mountain Time
'(GMT -08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)' - Pacific Time
'(GMT -10:00) Hawaii' - Time zone for Hawaii
- Column J (Group 1): This is the group assignment for the user.
- Column K (Group 2): This is if their account needs to be assigned to more than 1 group.
- Column L (Group 3): This is if their account needs to be assigned to more than 2 groups.
- Column M (Group 4): This is if their account needs to be assigned to more than 3 groups.
- Columns N-AK are for uploading a shipping address or billing address to an individual user account. If you do plan on uploading a billing or shipping address with the account, keep in mind all required address fields (marked with an *) must be filled out or the upload will fail. If a group of your users will be sharing the same addresses, we recommend you use shared addresses instead.
The following are columns in the list which correspond to Shipping/Billing addresses:
- *Shipping/Billing Nickname: Required and would be where you put the “name” for that address (e.g. “work address”, “Midwest Branch”, etc, etc)
- Shipping/Billing First Name: Not required, but would be the first name of the shipping/billing contact.
- Shipping/Billing Last Name: Not required, but would be the last name of the shipping/billing contact.
- Shipping/Billing Company: Not required, but would be the company name for the address. If this is filled out for the shopper in the User company name field above, then that information will auto-populate at checkout.
- *Shipping/Billing Address 1: Required and would be the first address line information.
- Shipping/Billing Address 2: Not required and would be where you can put in second address line information if applicable (e.g. “123-C” or “Suite #250”).
- *Shipping/Billing City: Required and would be the city that corresponds to the address.
- *Shipping/Billing State: Required and would be the state that corresponds to the address.
- *Shipping/Billing Country: Required and would be the country that corresponds to the address.
- *Shipping/Billing Zip: Required and would be the zip code that corresponds to the address.
- Shipping/Billing Email: Not required and would be the email address of the shipping/billing contact. If this isn’t filled out, it will populate from the user’s personal email information.
- Shipping/Billing Phone: Not required and would the phone number of the shipping/billing contact. If this isn’t filled out, it will populate from the user’s personal phone information under their profile.
When uploading an address for a new user, that address uploaded will be their default Shipping or Billing address at checkout depending on how you configure.
Additional Columns in Export
If your store is at the advanced level and any of the following features/add-ons are turned on, MOAS, account balance, custom user fields, and/or Budgets, these features will appear as columns in the user export list. Keep in mind with these features active, you may have more columns in your file than described above.
MOAS is for approving orders when placed by a specific user or group. More information on enabling and setting up MOAS can be found here. The MOAS info will appear as 2 columns towards the end of the file labeled MOAS Activation amount and MOAS Approver:
- MOAS Activation Amount: This corresponds to whether or not MOAS is triggered when an order is equal to or greater than the activation amount (e.g. only trigger MOAS on orders equal to or greater than $250). If you require this, you would input the value as a number without the ‘$’ sign.
- MOAS Approver: Would correspond to the email address who should receive MOAS approval emails each time that user places an order. You can input a single MOAS approver and if needed, you can add on additional email addresses by separating them with a comma (e.g. email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org)
Account balances give the shopper’s account a credit to use in the store. This will be “Column I” in the spreadsheet. More information on adjusting account balances can be found here.
- In Column I, you would input the number (no dollar sign) of the balance the user is getting.
Custom User Fields
Custom user fields is a feature which allows you to create custom fields to store user level information. Subsequently, fields you create will appear in the user export file towards the end of the first row. For example, if you need a custom user field for Employee Number or Office Location, you could use this feature to create it and then that would appear in the user export list. More information on enabling and configuring that feature can be found here.
Budgets is an advanced store add-on which allows you to create spending controls for specific groups and/or users in the store. More information on enabling and setting up budgets can be found here. The fields appearing in the spreadsheet will be columns for Budget Code 1-5 (users can be assigned to multiple budget buckets to select from) as well as one column for Budget Optional (yes or no value). If you need to assign more budgets to a user account, you would input the code in one of the 5 Budget Code columns. Budget Optional simply states whether or not that particular user is required to select a budget or not. If it’s “no” then Budgets are mandatory for the shopper, and if it’s “yes”, Budget selection is optional.