This tutorial will guide you through setting up the Group Passcode feature, which will allow users to be assigned to a specific user group when they self-register for an account.
Group Passcode works in conjunction with the following features. Please be familiar with or set up the following prior to setting up a Group Passcode.
- Activate the Group Passcode Feature
- Assign a Passcode to a Group
- Group Passcode Example
- Related Articles
Activate the Group Passcode Feature
To activate the Group Passcode feature:
- Access the Features section.
- Verify you are on the Features page.
- For the Group Passcode option, toggle the Active button to on. Click Close or Set Up Now to continue.
Assign a Passcode to a Group
** Note: Before you can assign a passcode to a group, the group must exist. Click here for more information on adding a new group.
To assign a passcode to a group, click edit for the group you wish to configure.
- Access the Users & Groups page.
- Click into the Groups area.
- Click the pencil (edit) icon for the group that needs a passcode assigned.
Enter the Passcode for a Group
With the Passcode feature enabled, new fields will appear in the Edit Group page. Use these fields to enable the feature for this group and enter their passcode.
- Turn on the Passcode Active option, to activate a passcode for this group.
- In the Passcode field, enter the code the user will enter to gain access to their group's pages, category, payment methods and shipping methods. Note: Passcodes can only contain letters, numbers and underscores.
- Click Save to save changes.
Now that you have created your user groups and setup passcodes for your desired groups, be sure to setup your group permissions next since this determines what a shopper will see based on the group they are being setup under. Click here for more information on setting up Permissions for a group.
Group Passcodes aren't not required to be unique, but since they are used to assign a user account under a specific group when the user self-registers, we recommend keeping these unique so the appropriate group is assigned to their account.
Group Passcode Example
In our example, below, we set up the Public group so they do not see the Rewards category, the only way to see this category is if the user account is assigned to a group that has access to the Rewards category (using Permissions Management).
Category display, prior to using a Passcode (Public group):
How a User Enters a Passcode:
When a shopper creates an account, as shown below, they will be prompted to enter the passcode they have been provided so that they are assigned to the group that the passcode is associated with.
Please note: Group Passcode is not a required field when creating an account, so if left blank then the shopper will be setup under the Public group by default.
Once the shopper clicks Create Account, they will be redirected to the homepage of your store and will see the categories/pages/payment options associated with the group they were setup under.
Category display after entering a Passcode (based on group associated with Passcode):
In the example, below you can see that once the user creates an account and enters the passcode, they can now see the Rewards category since that group has access to that category.