This tutorial will show you how to setup the USPS integrated shipping feature to calculate live shipping rate estimates at checkout.
- Set Up an Account with USPS
- Enter the Account Information into the Shipping Setup
- Legacy Rates
- Add Weights and Dimensions to Products
- Related Articles
Set Up an Account with USPS
In order to calculate shipping rates through USPS you need to set up a USPS Web Tools account if you do not already have one by visiting: https://www.usps.com/business/web-tools-apis/welcome.htm.
Enter the Account Information into the Shipping Setup
- Access the Shipping page.
- Click into the USPS section.
- Click to Enable USPS Shipping.
- Enter your User ID and Password. (IMPORTANT!: The password field is for the password that you would have received via email when you setup your USPS web tools account. This is NOT the username and password you would use to log into your USPS account. )
- Note: For help with locating your USPS User ID or Password, go to this link. If you have any questions about setting this account up, or general questions about the USPS account, please reach out to their support team through email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Phone - 1(800)-344-7779 or through this website.
- Test Mode: Disable test mode as this is for developer test accounts only.
- Modify Rate: You can modify your shipping rates by selecting the + sign to increase your rates, or the - sign to decrease your rates. Enter your discount amount and select the increase/decrease to be a percent or dollar format.
- Ship Methods: Select your desired USPS shipping methods.
- Click to Save.
IMPORTANT NOTE (when using USPS Legacy Rates):
If you are offering “USPS Priority” as an option, you will need to check the options for “USPS Priority Mail 1 Day”, “USPS Priority Mail 2 Day”, and “USPS Priority Mail 3 Day” as well. This is because USPS determines which of those above options is the best shipping rate given the origin and ship-to addresses entered. Keep in mind that if you plan on offering “USPS Priority Mail Express”, you will need to activate the corresponding 1 Day, 2 Day, and 3 Day options as well.
With the current USPS setup, you need to check boxes for all applicable shipping rates you intend on offering, and we've made this setup more efficient by giving you the ability to toggle between Legacy Rates for USPS and a simpler rate offering. If you have a store created on or after 11/03/2021, Legacy Rates for USPS will be automatically disabled.
This allows you to have a smaller list of rates to offer and is less confusing to a shopper (e.g. For USPS Priority Mail, they won't see options for 1 Day, 2 Day, or 3 Day - JUST the option for USPS Priority Mail)
To enable/disable Legacy Rates for USPS:
- After logging into the store's admin area, click to expand Shipping, then click into USPS.
- Next, you will see a toggle for Legacy Rates and you can turn this on or off.
- Click Save when finished.
Below are screenshots that show the differences between having Legacy Rates enabled v.s. disabled.
Legacy Rates Enabled
Legacy Rates Disabled
Add Weights and Dimensions to Products
When using integrated rates, all products must have a shipping weight and dimensions entered.
- Access the Product page and click the pencil (edit) icon for the product you want to modify.
- Click into the Setup section.
- Click into the Shipping tab.
- Enter the Shipping Weight and Shipping Dimensions for this product.
- Shipping Modifier - This is an options field and will add a shipping amount each time this product is ordered.
- If required, set the Custom Origin Address for the item, or keep this set as Default Shipping Origin Address.
- Click to Save changes.