*PRO-TIP: Use “CTRL + F” to input search terms and search this page*
This tutorial will go over mass updating user information in BrightSites.
This functionality allows you to mass update user information for multiple accounts at one time. For example, if your store is using “account balances” to provide shoppers with a credit to use as a payment method, you can mass update account balances for multiple users with this functionality. Or, let’s say your client needed you to add a manager order approval email (MOAS) for multiple user accounts; using this functionality you can add manager email addresses to several user accounts at once.
- Generate a List of Existing Users
- Modify the Existing User List
- Upload the Spreadsheet
- Status Notifications for Upload
- Columns in Template (for all stores)
- Additional Columns in Export (if these features are enabled)
- Related Articles
Generate a List of Existing Users
To get started with this feature, login to the admin area and generate a list of existing users.
- Access the Users and Groups page.
- Click into the Users section.
- Click the Update Existing Users button.
- Click the Generate User List button.
- Note: If you are using Filters, only the filtered results will be exported.
Modify the Existing User List
After clicking the Generate User List button, the existing users spreadsheet will be download to your system and you can open it in a spreadsheet program and make adjustments as necessary. A break-down of the columns in the template can be seen after the section entitled Columns in Template. Once you’re done making changes save the file in a .csv format.
Upload the Spreadsheet
Once you have the spreadsheet updated with the information needed, you will need to upload it to apply the changes.
- Click the Update existing users button.
- Drag and drop or click the box to select the modified file from your system.
- Click Upload to start the upload process.
Status Notifications for Upload
After the file is added into the queue, you will receive notification in the upper right-hand area of the screen, letting you know the process has started and then you will receive a second notification that it was complete or that there are errors. If you’re having issues with doing the upload, we recommend taking a look at this guide for assistance.
Here is an example of a successful upload
Here is an example of the message that appears for an upload that failed
Find out more about an unsuccessful upload
- Click the bell (notifications) icon.
- Click the specific error for this upload.
- CSV Errors - Check the errors that appear in the pop-up window. Match the line number to the row in the spreadsheet to fix and reupload the record that did not upload initially.
Columns in Template
*Fields marked with an asterisk(*) are required.*
*Fields marked in red are system generated and should not be edited or an error may occur.*
- Column A (User ID): This numeric value is system generated and should not be edited or adjusted. Removing or changing it will cause the upload to fail.
- Column B (Created On): This is the date the account was created.
- Column C (Last Active): This is the date the account was last logged into the store.
- Column D (Last Edited): This is the date the account information was last changed by a store admin.
- *Column E (Active): This is a TRUE/FALSE value and can be set to either “TRUE” to keep the account active, or “FALSE” to deactivate the account.
*Columns in your spreadsheet after this point may have different Column letters depending on the features/add-ons you have activated*
- *Column F (First Name): This is the user’s current first name.
- *Column G (Last Name): This is the user’s current last name.
- *Column H (Username): This is the user’s current username.
- Column I (Password): No value will appear here as this information is securely stored and not displayed. This can be edited if you need to reset the password. Passwords must be a minimum of 7 characters long, contain at least 1 NUMBER and cannot be a previously used password.
- *Column J (Email): This is the user’s current email address. Keep in mind if you input a new email address, it must be in an accepted email format (no apostrophes or spaces)
- Column K (User phone #): This is the user’s phone number under their user profile.
- Column L (User Company information): This is the user’s Company under their user profile and can be edited.
- Column M (User Title): This is the user’s Title under their user profile.
- Column I (Time zone): This allows you to set the Time zone for a shopper's account and their email will reflect the location they were purchasing in. A list of Time zones you can use in the upload are available here. Other example formats when updating users includes:
'(GMT -05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)' - Eastern Time
'(GMT -06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)' - Central Time
'(GMT -07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)' - Mountain Time
'(GMT -08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)' - Pacific Time
'(GMT -10:00) Hawaii' - Time zone for Hawaii
- Column O (Group 1): This is the group assignment for the user.
- Column P (Group 2): This is if their account is under more than 1 group.
- Column Q (Group 3): This is if their account is under more than 2 groups.
- Column R (Group 4): This is if their account is under more than 3 groups.
- Columns S-AP are for uploading a new shipping address or billing address to an individual user account. If you do plan on uploading a billing or shipping address with the account, keep in mind all required address fields (marked with an *) must be filled out or the upload will fail. When downloading a list of users, address book information for individual users is not included. If a group of your users will be sharing the same addresses, we recommend you use shared addresses instead.
The following are columns in the list which correspond to Shipping/Billing addresses:
- *Shipping/Billing Nickname: Required and would be where you put the “name” for that address (e.g. “work address”, “Midwest Branch”, etc, etc)
- Shipping/Billing First Name: Not required, but would be the first name of the shipping/billing contact.
- Shipping/Billing Last Name: Not required, but would be the last name of the shipping/billing contact.
- Shipping/Billing Company: Not required, but would be the shopper’s company name. If this is filled out for the shopper in the User company name field, then that information will auto-populate at checkout.
- *Shipping/Billing Address 1: Required and would be the first address line information.
- Shipping/Billing Address 2: Not required and would be where you can put in second address line information if applicable (e.g. “123-C”, “Suite #250”, etc, etc).
- *Shipping/Billing City: Required and would be the city that corresponds to the address.
- *Shipping/Billing State: Required and would be the state that corresponds to the address.
- *Shipping/Billing Country: Required and would be the country that corresponds to the address.
- *Shipping/Billing Zip: Required and would be the zip code that corresponds to the address.
- Shipping/Billing E-mail: Not required and would be the email address of the shipping/billing contact. If this isn’t filled out, it will populate from the user’s personal email information.
- Shipping/Billing Phone: Not required and would be the phone number of the shipping/billing contact. If this isn’t filled out, it will populate from the user’s personal phone information under their profile.
When uploading new addresses for existing users, keep in mind that whatever address is uploaded will take the place of any existing default addresses currently on file for the shopper.
The last default column in the file is “Delete Users” and this is blank when exporting the file. If you need to delete that specific user account (this removes their account from the store and they won’t be able to access their storefront order history, or login to the storefront/admin area) you would simply enter “YES” (all capitals, no quotation marks) into that field. The system requires you type that term exactly as stated and only then will the user account be removed from our system.
Additional Columns in Export
If your store is at the advanced level and any of the following features are turned on: MOAS, account balance, custom user fields, and/or Budgets, these features will appear as columns in the user export list. Keep in mind with these features active, you may have more columns in your file than described above.
MOAS is for approving orders when placed by a specific user or group. More information on enabling and setting up MOAS can be found here. The MOAS info will appear as 2 columns towards the end of the file labeled MOAS Activation amount and MOAS Approver:
- MOAS Activation Amount: This corresponds to whether or not MOAS is triggered when an order is equal to or greater than the activation amount (e.g. only trigger MOAS on orders equal to or greater than $250). If you require this, you would input the value as a numeral without the ‘$’ sign.
- MOAS Approver: Would correspond to the current MOAS approver at the user level and if this is configured, it would appear in the list (multiple email address would be separated by comma). You can input an MOAS approver if it’s not setup, or you can add on additional email addresses by separating them with a comma (e.g. email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org)
Account balances give the shopper’s account a credit to use in the store. More information on adjusting account balances can be found here. The options will appear as 4 columns in the exported list of users and those are labeled:
- Balance Addition: Adds on to the user’s current balance.
- Balance Subtraction: Subtracts from the user’s current balance.
- Reset Balance: Resets the balance to a completely new amount.
- Current Balance: Only to show account’s current balance and changes to this column will not have any affect upon processing the upload.
Custom User Fields
Custom user fields is a feature which allows you to create custom fields to store user information. Subsequently, fields you create will appear in the user export file towards the end of the first row. For example, if you need a custom user field for “Employee Number” you could use this feature to create it and then that would appear in the user export list. More information on enabling and configuring that feature can be found here.
Budgets is an advanced add-on which allows you to create spending controls for specific groups and/or users in the store. More information on enabling and setting up budgets can be found here. The fields appearing in the spreadsheet will be columns for Budget Code 1-5 (users can be assigned to multiple budget buckets to select from) as well as one column for Budget Optional (yes or no value). If you need to assign more budgets to a user account, you would input the code in one of the 5 Budget Code columns.