This tutorial will guide you through the process of setting up a custom domain name for your store, which allows the users to access your store through the custom URL (e.g. swagstore.com) you configure.
Keep in mind that purchasing a custom domain name is required and that any support for that domain would be provided by the registrar it was purchased through. Before attempting to install the SSL Certificate, please make sure you have done the following or the custom domain will not work.
- Purchased your domain name.
- Made the required DNS changes and verified the domain is pointing correctly.
- Make the Required DNS Changes and Verify the Domain is Pointed Correctly
- Activate the Custom Domains/SSL Feature
- Install SSL Certificate
- Successful SSL Certificate Installation Message
- Failed SSL Certificate Installation Message
- Change or Delete a Custom Domain
Make the Required DNS Changes and Verify the Domain is Pointed Correctly
*You will need to work with your domain provider to implement the settings discussed below*
- Configuring a CNAME record for a FULL domain name
If you plan on using a full domain name such as ‘www.swagstore.com’ or ‘shop.swagstore.com’, you will need to create a CNAME record that points to the current store URL (i.e. swagstore.mybrightsites.com).
- Configuring an A record for a ROOT of the domain
If you’re pointing the root of the domain (swagstore.com) then you will want to create an “A record” that points to 18.104.22.168
- Using Both
If you plan on using both the root domain and the WWW-version of the domain, you will need to enter the non-www version of the domain in the “domain name” field (swagstore.com) and turn on “domain starts with www.” Once you are finished, select “save changes and install SSL certificate.” Make sure that you configure the records with your domain provider to ensure the custom domain set up and SSL certificate installation is successful.
Activate the Custom Domains/SSL Feature
Once the domain has been configured so that the records are pointed from your registrar, activate the Custom Domains feature.
- Access the Features section.
- Click into the Add-Ons section.
- For the Custom Domains option, toggle the Active button to on. Click Approve if you agree to an additional monthly support fee. Click Close or Set Up Now to continue.
Install SSL Certificate
- Access the Settings page.
- Click into the Custom Domain section.
- Domain Name - Enter the domain name you purchased and configured. Don’t enter “www.” or “http://”.
- Domain starts with www - If you wish to allow users to access the store via "www", activate this setting.
- Save - Click to save changes.
Successful SSL Certificate Installation Message
Once you have saved the changes, the system will check the settings and will display the following:
- You will be notified when your Custom Domain is ready - This message will appear after you save changes, as the settings are verified.
- DNS Records Status - If the A and/or CNAME records have been configured with your hosting provider, Verified will be displayed.
- SSL Certificate Install Status - If the settings are correct, Installed will be displayed along with the Install Date and Renewal Date.
- Custom Domain has been successfully installed - Once all settings are verified, this message will be displayed.
Failed SSL Certificate Installation Message
- Not Found - If the A and/or CNAME records have not been configured with your hosting provider or are configured incorrectly, this note is displayed.
- Custom Domain install failed: couldn't verify CNS records - Will also be displayed.
Keep in mind the following when using this feature:
- If you run into an error, you may also want to reach out to your hosting provider to verify that those records have been configured correctly.
- If the custom domain setup and SSL certificate installation is successful, the system will also attempt to automatically renew it at the future date specified.
- The SSL certificate will not be attempted to be installed unless your DNS records are Verified successfully.
Change or Delete a Custom Domain
In order to change a Custom Domain, the existing SSL certificate must be deleted and the new domain added.
Delete Configuration - To delete the existing SSL certificate, click this button. You will be asked to confirm the deletion.