This article will discuss how to create and delete shipments for items in an order.
Order Shipments allow you to add shipping information for specific items if only part of the order is being shipped. This allows you to assign a unique tracking number, ship date, ship method, and custom note for a portion of the order.
Creating a shipment allows you to send a portion of what was ordered by the shopper if the entire quantity isn’t available yet. The shopper can even view shipments on one order by logging into their account on the storefront.
- Select the Products for the Shipment
- Create a Shipment
- Resend Shipping Confirmation or Delete Shipment
- Shipments Management
- Shipping Confirmation Example
- Tips & Tricks with Shipments
Select the Products for the Shipment
- Access the Orders page and click the pencil (edit) icon (not pictured here) for the order for which you want to create a shipment.
- Click into the Shipments section of that order.
- Select the products for the shipment by clicking the top check box to select all products or click the lower check boxes to select individual products.
- Click New Shipment.
Create a Shipment
- Quantity - Modify the quantity being shipped.
- Tracking Number - Assign a tracking number.
- Ship Method - Change the ship method for the shipment.
- Ship Date - Input a ship date.
- Note - Input a custom note which will appear on the shipping confirmation email.
- Send Shipping Confirmation - The Shipping confirmation will be sent upon hitting Save.
- Save changes.
Resend Shipping Confirmation or Delete Shipment
Once the shipment has been created, it will appear at the bottom of the under the Shipments order tab.
- Send/Resend Shipping Confirmation - Allows you to send or resend the Shipping Confirmation for this shipment only.
- Trash Can Icon - Click to delete the shipment, if needed. Note, there’s not a way to modify an existing shipment, you must delete it and re-create it if changes are required.
- Save - Submit changes for this shipment.
With Shipments, you have the ability to Manage, Export, and Delete Shipment data on orders. To access these settings:
- Login to the store's admin area and click to expand Orders & Shipments.
- Then click into . Next, you'll see the following options:
- (A) Filters: This allows you to filter/search for Shipments by Ship Date, Date Placed (Order), Ship Method, Shipping Confirmation Status, and Ship Status (not Order Status).
- (B) Export Shipments: This buttons allows you to export the filtered shipments on your list. Once clicked, a banner will appear indicating the export is being prepared, then a second banner will appear and you can click that to download the file, or click into the notifications icon (bell) at the top right to download the file.
- (C) Send Confirmation: This button will send shipping confirmation emails for the selected shipments.
- (D) Delete: This button will delete shipments on orders for the selected shipments. If you click this, you will need to click Delete again in the pop-up/confirmation window.
You'll click Run Search after selecting any filters. Otherwise, Reset will reset your filters, and Make Default will apply your selected filters as the default display.
You can otherwise check the boxes for Shipments to send confirmations, or delete them out.
Additionally, below is a break-down of the columns of data that appear:
- Order #: This column reflects the order #(s) for the shipments. Please note, based on the number of shipments added to an order, you will see multiple lines for each shipment within the order.
- Shipment #: This columns reflects what the Shipment # is for the shipment. If there is only ONE shipment, you will see this as "1/1"; whereas if there are multiple shipments (for example, three), it will show up as "1/3", "2/3", and "3/3."
- Tracking Number: This would be the tracking # of the Shipment. If a UPS/FedEx/USPS tracking number is used, it will link to that provider's shipment tracking page.
- Shipment Status: This would reflect the carrier's "status" of where the delivery is on their side. This is not the same as the order's status and simply uses the provided tracking # to determine if the order has been processed, in-transit, or delivered.
- Ship Method: This would reflect the selected carrier's shipping method.
- Order Date: This would reflect the date on which the order was placed out.
- Ship Date: This would reflect the actual Ship Date added to an order (may be blank if no date was selected).
- Product: This would reflect the item in that Shipment. If multiple items exist on 1 shipment, you will see multiple lines for each item included in the shipment.
- Size: This would reflect the Size of the item in the Shipment. It may be blank if the item doesn't have a Size option.
- Color: This would reflect the Color of the item in the Shipment. It may be blank if the item doesn't have a Color option.
- SKU: This would reflect the final SKU of the item that was ordered on the shipment (which appends in sub-SKUs for Color/Size options).
- Qty: This would reflect the quantity of items fulfilled on the shipment.
- Qty Ordered: This would reflect the TOTAL quantity of items that shopper ordered.
- Note: This would reflect the note added to the shipment IF one was added. This could appear blank if no note is added.
- Actions: This contains an option for Send/Re-send Shipping Confirmation email. You can click this to send a specific Shipment's shipping confirmation e-mail. Otherwise, click the red trashcan icon to delete a shipment out, then click Delete in the confirmation/pop-up window.
Shipping Confirmation Example
Lastly, this is what the email will look like when generated by the system.
Tips & Tricks with Shipments
When you create a shipment, this information does not appear in the “Shipping Details” shipment information fields under order details.
- You do not need to change the status of the order. This is automatically handled when creating shipments. For example, if a shipment is created with only part of the order, the status is changed automatically to "In Progress." If shipments are created for all quantities ordered, then the status is automatically changed to "Shipped."
- You can have multiple shipments on 1 order.
- You CANNOT use Order Shipments to “cancel” specific items from an order.
- You may need a theme update if your shipping confirmation email doesn’t reflect the example screenshot in this guide.
- Based on your Spreadsheet software settings, you may need to adjust how data is shown in your software. Some data points like tracking number, or shipment number may change based on these settings.