This article walks through creating coupons, which can be used at checkout to discount the order total. Coupon codes cannot be used towards $0.00 items, orders, and costs of shipping. Additionally coupons do not discount gift certificate products.
- Activate the Coupons Feature
- Access the Coupon Setup
- Create a New Coupon Manually
- Upload Multiple Coupons
- Additional Features
- Mass Update Coupons
- Coupon Permissions
- Activate Coupon Field on Checkout Page
- Related Articles
Activate the Coupons Feature
Start by turning the coupon feature on.
- Access the Features page.
- Click into the Features section.
- Click to enable the Coupons feature. Click Close or Set Up Now to continue.
Access the Coupon Setup
- Access the Coupons & Gift Certs page.
- Click into the Coupons section.
- Click New Coupon.
Create a New Coupon Manually
- Coupon Code - Type in a unique code the shopper enters at checkout to receive the discount (must be at least 4 characters) or click the Generate Code button for allow the system to create a code.
- Friendly Text - This is the text that will appear on the storefront after the code is redeemed.
- Expiration Date - Enter an expiration date if required (if one is input, the coupon will expire at 12:01AM on that date).
- Coupon Type ($, % or free)- This field works in conjunction with the next field down fororder, shipping, order/shipping, product drop-down option. Select one of the following from the drop-down box:
- $ - To take a dollar amount off.
- % - To take a percentage off.
- Free - To take 100% off.
- Coupon Type (order, shipping, order/shipping, product) -The field works in conjunction with the previous $, %, free drop-down option. Select one of the following from the drop-down:
- Order - To take the discount off the product only (not shipping).
- Shipping - To take the discount off shipping only (not products).
- Order and Shipping - To take the discount off both the order and shipping.
- Product - To take the discount off of one product only. When select an additional drop-down field will appearing allowing you to select the specific product. Select which product you want to associate this coupon with (you can type the name of the product or SKU to search for it).
- Amount - Enter the discount for the coupon.
- Limited - Select yes or no from the drop down.
- No means the coupon can be used an unlimited number of times.
- Yes will open another field that allows you to enter the number of times a coupon can be used. If you enter "1", once the coupon is used on one order, it will no longer be valid. A limit of "1" is used when setting up user-specific coupons.
- Yes - Per User will open another field that allows you to enter the number of times a coupon can be used Per User. For example if you enter "1", each user account in the store can use that coupon 1 time only. Keep in mind, this coupon type will only work for users who have an account in the store and are logged in. This coupon does NOT work with users going through guest checkout.
- Save - Click to submit changes.
Upload Multiple Coupons
This feature allows you to create and upload multiple coupons at one time.
Download the coupon template to create the coupons.
- Click the Upload Coupons button.
- Click the Download Coupon Upload Template button.
Add New Coupons to Template
Once downloaded, open the spreadsheet template in your preferred software. The columns correspond to the following (required*).
- Coupon Code* - The unique code the shopper enters at checkout to receive the discount (must be greater than 4 characters).
- Friendly Text - The message you want displayed at checkout in the coupon section when the code is redeemed.
- Expiration Date - The date you want the code to expire. If blank, codes will not expire. The expiration date is 12:01am the day input. So if you input 6/1/2019, codes will expire in the morning of June 1st. DO NOT enter the date in this format or it will set the incorrect expiration date: "mm/dd/yy" (e.g. 08/08/18 will be read as "08/08/0018" when uploaded).
- Savings Modifier* - The type of coupon modifier - Dollar and Percent would need amounts (Column G) input in order to correctly configure the coupon. With Free the order, cost of shipping, order & shipping, or product (1 unit) is free of charge.
- Savings Type* - This is what the coupon discounts at checkout when the code is applied.
- Product ID - If you're uploading product specific coupons, you would input the Product ID (NOT SKU) of the item the coupon is being configured.
- Amount - If you're uploading coupons as Dollar or Percent coupons, you would input the amount here (e.g. "50" is $50.00 off or 50% off depending on the Savings Modifier)
- Number of Uses - If blank, the coupon will have unlimited uses and with a number input, this will restrict it so only the coupon can be used that number of times. Keep in mind this isn't specific to each registered shoppers account so technically, a shopper can try the code multiple times on multiple orders.
Upload the spreadsheet
Upload the modified template to add the coupons in bulk.
- Click the Upload Coupons button.
- Drag and drop or click the box to select the modified file from your system.
- Click Upload to start the upload process.
After the file is added into the queue, you will receive an email letting you know that it’s processing and then you will receive a second email letting you know it was successful, or an email saying that it failed and what the errors were. If you’re having issues with doing the upload, we recommend taking a look at this guide for assistance.
Use these additional features to search, edit or delete coupons
- Filters - Click the Filters link to expand search options.
- Export Coupons - Export the list of coupons to a spreadsheet
- Active - Turn coupons on/off.
- Pencil (edit) icon - To edit the coupon.
- Trash can icon - To delete the coupon.
Mass Update Coupons
Use this feature to bulk activate, de-activate or delete coupons.
- Click the checkbox next to Coupon to select all coupons on this page.
- Or click each coupon individually by checking the box next to it. Once a box is select, the following options will appear.
- Activate - To activate the checked coupons.
- De-Activate - To de-activate the checked coupons.
- Delete - To delete the checked coupons.
Coupon permissions allow you to restrict the Group, Categories, and/or Products a coupon can be applied to.
** Permissions must be enabled on the Features page for coupon permissions to be enabled.
Please note, when using Coupon Permissions, only products that the coupons apply to can be in the cart. Additional items in the cart will keep the coupon from being applied and an error will be generated at checkout.
- Click into the Permissions section for coupons.
- Groups, Categories and Products tabs - Select one of the following tabs:
- Groups - To allow the coupon to be used by certain user groups only.
- Categories - To allow the coupon to be used on certain categories of products only.
- Products - To allow the coupon to be used on specific products only.
- Show all except and Hide all except - Select an option to configure the permissions.
- Checkbox - Based on the previous setting, select the exceptions. In this example, the coupon is restricted to all categories except the Apparel category.
- Save - Click to submit changes.
Activate Coupon Field on Checkout Page
In order to display the Coupon field on the Checkout page, follow these steps.
- Access the Settings page.
- Go to Checkout Options.
- Toggle on the Show Coupon Field option.
- Click Save.