*PRO-TIP: Use “CTRL + F” to input search terms and search this page*
This tutorial will go over mass uploading user accounts in Bright Sites.
This functionality allows you to upload user account information for multiple accounts at once. This is especially beneficial if your client needs you to create multiple user accounts prior to a store being launched.
To get started with using this feature, login to the admin area and from the Dashboard, click Users.
From here, you would click upload new users (1) and then click download user upload template (2).
After clicking that button, a spreadsheet template is downloaded to your system and when you open the file in your spreadsheet software, you will see the below:
In the template you can input individual user accounts per row (1 row for one user account) and then save your file in the .csv format. A break-down of the columns in the template can be seen after the section labelled “Uploading the spreadsheet.”
Uploading the spreadsheet
Once you have the spreadsheet updated with the information needed, you would navigate back to the Users (1) tab and click upload new users (2). From here, click on choose file (3) and then select the file from your system and hit upload (4).
After the file is added into the queue, you will receive an email letting you know that it’s processing and then you will receive a second email letting you know it was successful, or an email saying that it failed and what the errors were. If you’re having issues with doing the upload, we recommend taking a look at this guide for assistance.
Columns in Template
*Fields marked with an asterisk(*) are required.*
**Fields marked with two asterisks(**) have special requirements**
- *Column A (First Name): This is the user’s first name.
- *Column B (Last Name): This is the user’s last name.
- *Column C (Username): This is the user’s username.
- Column D (Password): Passwords must be a minimum of 7 characters long, and contain at least 1 NUMBER. This field is not required and keep in mind, if a password is not supplied for that user account, our system will generate a confirmation email to have the shopper confirm their account and setup a password on their own.
- *Column E (Email): This is the user’s email address for correspondence from the store (order confirmation emails and password reset emails). Keep in mind it must be input in an email format (no apostrophes or spaces)
- Column F (User phone #): This is the user’s phone number under their user profile.
- **Column G (SMS Notifications): If you have enabled SMS Notifications to be used in the store, you must input TRUE or FALSE for whether or not you want the shopper to receive SMS notifications at the phone number you provide.
- Column G (User Company information): This is the user’s Company under their user profile.
- Column H (User Title): This is the user’s Title under their user profile.
- Column I (Group 1): This is the group assignment for the user.
- Column J (Group 2): This is if their account needs to be assigned to more than 1 group.
- Column K (Group 3): This is if their account needs to be assigned to more than 2 groups.
- Column L (Group 4): This is if their account needs to be assigned to more than 3 groups.
Columns M-AJ are for uploading a shipping address or billing address to an individual user account. If you do plan on uploading a billing or shipping address with the account, keep in mind all required address fields (marked with an *) must be filled out or the upload will fail. If a group of your users will be sharing the same addresses, we recommend you use shared addresses instead. The following are columns in the list which correspond to Shipping/Billing addresses:
- *Shipping/Billing Nickname: Required and would be where you put the “name” for that address (e.g. “work address”, “Midwest Branch”, etc, etc)
- Shipping/Billing First Name: Not required, but would be the first name of the shipping/billing contact.
- Shipping/Billing Last Name: Not required, but would be the last name of the shipping/billing contact.
- Shipping/Billing Company: Not required, but would be the company name for the address. If this is filled out for the shopper in the User company name field above, then that information will auto-populate at checkout.
- *Shipping/Billing Address 1: Required and would be the first address line information.
- Shipping/Billing Address 2: Not required and would be where you can put in second address line information if applicable (e.g. “123-C” or “Suite #250”).
- *Shipping/Billing City: Required and would be the city that corresponds to the address.
- *Shipping/Billing State: Required and would be the state that corresponds to the address.
- *Shipping/Billing Country: Required and would be the country that corresponds to the address.
- *Shipping/Billing Zip: Required and would be the zip code that corresponds to the address.
- Shipping/Billing Email: Not required and would be the email address of the shipping/billing contact. If this isn’t filled out, it will populate from the user’s personal email information.
- Shipping/Billing Phone: Not required and would the phone number of the shipping/billing contact. If this isn’t filled out, it will populate from the user’s personal phone information under their profile.
When uploading an address for a new user, that address uploaded will be their default Shipping or Billing address at checkout depending on how you configure.
Additional Columns in Export
If your store is at the advanced level and any of the following features/add-ons are turned on, MOAS, account balance, custom user fields, and/or Budgets, these features will appear as columns in the user export list. Keep in mind with these features active, you may have more columns in your file than described above.
MOAS is for approving orders when placed by a specific user or group. More information on enabling and setting up MOAS can be found here. The MOAS info will appear as 2 columns towards the end of the file labelled MOAS Activation amount and MOAS Approver:
- MOAS Activation Amount: This corresponds to whether or not MOAS is triggered when an order is equal to or greater than the activation amount (e.g. only trigger MOAS on orders equal to or greater than $250). If you require this, you would input the value as a number without the ‘$’ sign.
- MOAS Approver: Would correspond to the email address who should receive MOAS approval emails each time that user places an order. You can input a single MOAS approver and if needed, you can add on additional email addresses by separating them with a comma (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com)
Account balances give the shopper’s account a credit to use in the store. This will be “Column I” in the spreadsheet. More information on adjusting account balances can be found here.
- In Column I, you would input the number (no dollar sign) of the balance the user is getting.
Custom User Fields
Custom user fields is a feature which allows you to create custom fields to store user level information. Subsequently, fields you create will appear in the user export file towards the end of the first row. For example, if you need a custom user field for Employee Number or Office Location, you could use this feature to create it and then that would appear in the user export list. More information on enabling and configuring that feature can be found here.
Budgets is an advanced store add-on which allows you to create spending controls for specific groups and/or users in the store. More information on enabling and setting up budgets can be found here. The fields appearing in the spreadsheet will be columns for Budget Code 1-5 (users can be assigned to multiple budget buckets to select from) as well as one column for Budget Optional (yes or no value). If you need to assign more budgets to a user account, you would input the code in one of the 5 Budget Code columns. Budget Optional simply states whether or not that particular user is required to select a budget or not. If it’s “no” then Budgets are mandatory for the shopper, and if it’s “yes”, Budget selection is optional.